Sims stresses continuing diversity conversations at Faculty of Color Reception

Almost 70 years after UW-Madison hired its first professor of color, members of the campus community gathered at the Pyle Center to acknowledge faculty from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.

UW-Madison Vice Provost and Chief Diversity Officer Patrick Sims recognized faculty members new to the university, as well as those who were recently promoted to associate and full professorships. He said in light of recent campus issues surrounding diversity and inclusion, it is important to form partnerships in all areas of the university that underscore the value of a diverse environment.

“This is an opportunity that ... involves our broader community members, for recognizing that the journey of cultural inclusion, the journey of competency, doesn’t just live with the individual,” Sims said.

UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank shared statistical improvements concerning diversity on campus, saying although she knows there is more to be done, it was important to celebrate progress.

Faculty of color now make up just under 25 percent of all university faculty, compared to only 15 percent a decade ago, Blank said. Applications from students with historically underrepresented backgrounds have also increased.

Additionally, Blank explained the gap in retention rates from freshman year to sophomore year between underrepresented students and all other students has “literally closed,” something she said was a result of much hard work.

Hard work will be needed in the future, Sims said, as his office and other community members continue to engage everyone in conversations about diversity and inclusion.

“Too often we preach to the choir. We’ve spoken to folks who care about these issues, are passionate about these issues, and they show up,” Sims said. “But we want to reach those voices that historically have been on the sidelines, have historically watched from afar … sometimes it boils down to a simple question of ‘will you join us?’ We are committed to reaching those individuals.”