New column celebrates black girl magic

From Beyoncé and her newest song “Formation” to pioneers like Shirley Chisholm, black women have paved the way for style, politics, culture, education and more since the beginning of time. This column will explore the intersections of being a black woman, specifically on the UW-Madison campus. It is incredibly important to cultivate a safe space for black women to have important conversations about race, representation and the unequivocal magic that is bestowed within all black women. Every other week this column will present a thought-provoking article that will hopefully spark meaningful conversations and help enrich UW-Madison’s black community. As black women there are topics and issues that pertain to us that don’t typically get addressed by our nonblack women counterparts. As a collective of writers, we will make an effort to celebrate black women through individual highlights, as the “Magician of the week,” and through accepting questions and feedback about what topics and issues we should write about. This column is unique because through the opinions, stories and interests of many black women on this campus, our goal will be to directly reflect the experience of being a black woman on UW-Madison’s campus. In addition to embracing our similarities, we want to make sure to put an emphasis on showcasing the diversity within our own community. Please take the time to read and indulge in this biweekly column. Through discussing hair, music, art, poetry, fitness and more, we plan to bring as many magicians together as possible through shared and individual experiences that will ultimately affirm the fact that black girls are indeed lit.