Men's Hockey Kohl Center

The Badgers fell victim to Michigan's offensive onslaught Friday night, losing 4-1 at the Kohl Center. 

Michigan pulls away from Wisconsin in penalty-ridden matchup

Badgers in danger of dropping third-straight conference series

In a tension-filled, penalty-loaded bloodbath, the No. 6 Michigan Wolverines skated past the Wisconsin Badgers by a score of 4-1 Friday night at the Kohl Center.

The highest-scoring team in the nation opened the floodgates early and never once looked back. Michigan’s first goal of the game came just four minutes into play when a Wolverine forward found a backdoor cutting Tyler Motte to put UM up 1-0.

The Badgers responded late in the first period with an unorthodox goal of their own. Down by a goal, Wisconsin took advantage of an offensive zone opportunity as sophomore forward Ryan Wagner crashed the net and trickled a bouncing puck past the arms of Michigan senior goalie Steve Racine.

The second period featured an attack mentality on both sides, as both the Badgers and Wolverines looked hungry for goals. Michigan broke through first, however, when sophomore forward Dexter Dancs scored his sixth goal of the season, poking a slow-moving puck into the back of the net by capitalizing on a rebound chance after a Wolverine shot redirected right in front of the crease.

Not only did the second period showcase a fast-paced playing style, but both teams also exhibited a physical mentality. Tensions began to flare midway through the period as members of both teams earned roughing penalties. After the referees settled things down, Michigan sought to take advantage of a calmer game, but ultimately failed to net a third goal despite numerous chances.

Trailing 2-1 entering the third period, UW’s Wagner sensed the need to make something happen. Just three minutes into the period, Wagner dangled the puck on his stick and nearly snuck a toe-dragging wrist shot past Racine.

Later in the period, Michigan countered UW’s attack with a flurry of offensive opportunities. Wolverine forwards crashed the net with the puck on multiple occasions, but Wisconsin freshman goalie Matt Jurusik stood tall and rejected each close scoring chance.

“He made some unbelievably athletic saves tonight. We left him out there to dry a couple of times,” head coach Mike Eaves said of Jurusik.

However, Michigan ultimately found a way to do what Michigan does, as the Wolverines scored their third goal of the game courtesy of an offensive set piece. After passing the puck around the point, a UM forward fed a cutting Alex Kile for an easy goal to put Michigan ahead by two goals with 13:39 remaining in the game.

With time winding down late in the third period, Michigan scored for the fourth time on an empty-net goal to solidify a 4-1 victory.

The Badgers will look to avoid a third-straight conference sweep Saturday night when they face the Wolverines in a rematch at 7 p.m. at the Kohl Center.