ray cross

UW System President Ray Cross supported Gov. Scott Walker's higher education affordability proposals in the State of the State address. 

UW officials praise college affordability emphasis in State of the State

UW System President Ray Cross and Board of Regents President Regina Millner shared support in a Jan. 19 statement for Gov. Scott Walker’s emphasis on affordable higher education in the State of the State address.

Walker’s affordability package will focus on lowering interest on student loans, increasing internship availability and providing financial literacy to students.

Cross said in the statement the priorities Walker addressed in the legislation align with the views of Wisconsin citizens.

“The governor is hearing the same thing we are, and it is significant that our priorities are in strong alignment,” Cross said.

Millner also approved of Walker’s measures, highlighting goals to help students finish school on time with minimal debt.

“The governor boldly challenges the Board of Regents to work with our UW System and institutional leaders to develop alternatives and innovations … to help more of our students graduate in four years or less and with less debt,” Millner said. “We accept that challenge.”