Carroll_Sean_lab10_7310
Sean Carroll, professor of genetics and an investigator with Howard Hughes Medical Institute, is pictured in his research lab in Bock Laboratories at the University of Wisconsin-Madison on March 19, 2010. Carroll's research focuses on animal development, pattern formation and morphological evolution, and immunochemistry and biological imaging. ©UW-Madison University Communications 608/262-0067 Photo by: Jeff Miller Date: 03/10 File#: NIKON D3 digital frame 7310

UW-Madison evolutionary biologist awarded Lewis Thomas Prize

Rockefeller University announced Thursday that Sean B. Carroll, UW-Madison evolutionary biologist and author, won the Lewis Thomas Prize for Writing about Science.

The award was established in 1993 to honor individuals writing about science “whose voice and vision can tell us about science’s aesthetic and philosophical dimensions, providing not merely new information but cause for reflection, even revelation,” according to a university release.

Carroll received the Lewis Thomas Prize as recognition for his entire body of work, including his book “Brave Genius: A Scientist, a Philosopher, and Their Daring Adventures from the French Resistance to the Nobel Prize,” according to the release.

His other notable works include a 2009 National Book Award finalist “Remarkable Creatures: Epic Adventures in the Search for the Origins of Species” and the 2005 book “Endless Forms Most Beautiful: The New Science of Evo Devo and the Making of the Animal Kingdom.”

Carroll will receive the award on March 14.