State Democrat wants to tie teacher and legislator pay

A Democratic legislator introduced new legislation Wednesday, freezing legislators' pay temporarily until it equals the average pay of a first-year, full-time teacher in Wisconsin.

The legislation, introduced by state Rep. Robb Kahl, D-Monona, aims to create a link between teaching faculty and members of the state Senate and Assembly, as well as to encourage continuous flow into the teaching profession.

According to the bill, once the pay levels are equal, any increase in legislator pay could not exceed the percentage increase in the average pay for first-year, full-time teachers in Wisconsin, ensuring the current disparity in pay does not repeat itself in the future.

“Other than parents, the adults who have the greatest influence on children are teachers,” Kahl said in a statement.

At present, legislators are paid $50,950 per year, while a first-year, full-time teacher is paid a statewide average of $33,546. Kahl also noted in the statement studies show American public school teachers are paid less than workers in the U.S. with similar education level.

“As a citizen legislator, I believe it is imperative that legislators remain connected to the community. One way to do that is by creating this link between legislative pay and the amount paid to the individuals who enter the teaching profession,” said Kahl. “Under the bill, in the future if legislators want to be paid more they will have to first take steps to ensure teacher compensation is adjusted to allow teaching to be a viable profession in Wisconsin.”