Ramen Kid

Ramen Kid will open at the former location of Lava Lounge, a tiki bar that closed over a year ago on the 400 block of Gilman Street. 

New ramen restaurant to open on Gilman Street

Ramen Kid, a new Japanese restaurant serving authentic ramen dishes, is set to open near campus this month.

According to owner Akira Ishikawa, the restaurant will serve a variety of meat- and vegetable- based ramen dishes. For each ramen dish, customers will have a variety of noodle choices, including egg, tomato and spinach noodles.

On top of the ramen dishes, Ramen Kid’s menu offers several hibachi dishes as well as a number of side dishes such as spicy edamame, pork bun, gyoza and shumai.

Ishikawa says he wants Ramen Kid’s menu to grow as time goes on, stating that he will “gradually add more [authentic] dishes” a few months after the restaurant opens.

Additionally, Ramen Kid plans to offer beer and wine to customers, though the restaurant will not have a bar or serve hard liquor. Madison’s Common Council approved Ishikawa’s application for a liquor license during its Tuesday meeting.

Ishikawa, who also owns Karaoke Kid on University Avenue, will own the establishment on the 400 block of Gilman Street in partnership with Weiche Lo, a native of Taiwan and owner of a security systems company.

Ramen Kid will open in the former location of Lava Lounge, a tiki bar that closed over a year ago. Ishikawa said he does not plan to do much remodeling to the building.

Ishikawa noted Ramen Kid will have a significant appeal to students, especially considering its affordable prices and convenient location, which is just blocks away from campus.

Ishikawa said he hopes Ramen Kid will provide a brand new eating experience for students, noting a lack of authentic Japanese cuisine in the area.

“There’s no right type of ramen available in Wisconsin [or] the Madison area,” he said. “So we want to try to introduce that [kind of food] to students.”