Wisconsin finishes regular season on a high note thanks to strong defense

The Badgers recorded their first home victory of the season Wednesday as they spoiled Northwestern’s chances at a share of the Big Ten title, winning 2-1.

Wisconsin (2-3-3 Big Ten, 5-10-3 overall) started off slowly and conceded an early goal but was able to bounce back and score two unanswered to win the game.

The game looked like it was Northwestern’s to win as it attacked the goal early and often. The ‘Cats (3-4-0, 7-8-2) had a lot riding on this game and played aggressively throughout.

“It was a tremendous performance against a very good Northwestern team that had a chance to possibly win the league championship today as well as wrap up an NCAA tournament bid,” head coach John Trask said. 

The lone Northwestern goal came in the 19th minute by junior forward Mike Roberge. Roberge beat Wisconsin keeper Adrian Remeniuk to the far post on a high shot. He’s second on the Wildcats with nine points on the season. 

Just minutes before Northwestern began the scoring, Wisconsin defender Carl Schneider slid and saved what looked to be a sure goal. 

Late in the first half, the Badgers were awarded a penalty kick after what the Northwestern head coach Tim Lenahan thought was a foul outside of the box. The penalty kick was saved, but Wisconsin was able to crash the net and score on a nice shot by redshirt junior midfielder Luc Kazmierczak. It was Kazmierczak’s first goal of the season and proved to be a big one.

Wisconsin threatened throughout the second half which led to the eventual game winner by sophomore forward Mark Segbers. 

“It felt really nice. Especially with it being the seniors’ last home. They put in so much work and effort to building our team up and keeping our spirits up so it’s a little thank you to them,” Segbers said. 

The Badgers will head to Indiana Sunday for the first game of the Big Ten Tournament. They played the Hoosiers last weekend and lost the contest 0-1. 

“We had a heck of a matchup with Indiana who is a tremendous program. It’s where I played, it’s where I coached for 10 years. There’s going to be a huge crowd; it’s going to be a great environment for these guys to see,” Trask said.

Look for the Badgers to ride the momentum of their first home win into the Big Ten Tournament.  Kickoff will be at 12 p.m.