Assembly Bill 469 invites students and staff at schools to exercise prejudices against trans students.

Transgender rights at stake with Wisconsin Assembly Bill 469

The Wisconsin GOP just doesn’t seem to know when they’re fighting a losing battle. With the decision from the Supreme Court this past summer and the backlash following the Religious Freedom Act in Indiana earlier in the year Republicans have been fighting a losing battle when it comes to LGBT rights.  With 59 percent of American citizens supporting same sex marriage, Republicans are showing just how out of touch they are with everyday people.  The Wisconsin Assembly has been the latest target for discriminatory legislation.  Several weeks ago, Rep. Jesse Kremer (R-Kewaskum) introduced Assembly Bill 469, an attempt to restrict transgender use of gendered restrooms in schools.  Regardless of how Rep. Kremer and the other supporters of this legislation may spin it, this bill is an attack against the transgender community and LGBT Wisconsinites as a whole.

Rep. Kremer and the other supporters of the legislation hide behind false goals. Supporters say that they are trying to protect children from possible predators and any other possible dangers.  The fact of the matter is there have been zero reported cases of transgender individuals attacking or sexually harassing anybody. What this bill really does is delegitimize thousands of young transgender students in the state.  Going through transition can be one of the scariest experiences a young transgender individual can face. They must worry about hormones, the changes happening within their body, not to mention the sadly inevitable pushback they’ll experience from their community. A transgender person must push past these obstacles in order to try and live a happy life.  Now, on top of all these variables, Wisconsin Republicans are trying to make trans bodies illegal and accuse transgender people of being “bathroom predators”.  They would rather stigmatize transgender students than help them.  Instead of offering positive options for the community, they just want to tell them that they are wrong.  This legislation will cause incomprehensible psychological damage to transgender students.  It tells them that they are wrong for wanting to be who they truly are.

We do not live in a world devoid of prejudice, and the LGBT community has faced far more than its share of prejudice.  History is full of names such as Matthew Shepard and Brandon Teena.  In 2015 alone, there have already been 24 trans women murdered. The numbers may be even greater due to the lack of hate crime reporting by police officers in cases involving trans individuals.  The trans community lives in constant fear not only for acceptance, but for their lives.  Legislation like AB 469 gives the green light to violent prejudice.  It tells those with hate in their heart that being transgender is wrong and punishable.  Transphobia strengthens every time laws like this pass.

We need to stand up to Rep. Kremer and the other Wisconsin Republicans who are trying to police trans bodies.  They can no longer repress the rights of same sex couples to marry, so now they are moving that repression to the trans community. They label the trans community as predators and try to ban them from the public eye.  We need to send them a message that the people of Wisconsin choose equality over hate.  We need to speak out against injustice when we see it otherwise Republicans will continue to destroy all of the progress we have made for the LGBT community. LGBT people are citizens too. Stop trying to police our bodies and destroy our rights. Join us on Thursday, November 19 at 10 am in room 417 North in the Capitol to tell Rep. Kremer and the other Republicans about the lasting and significant damage this bill will have on the young people of Wisconsin.

Danny is the LGBT Caucus director of the College Democrats of Wisconsin, and a junior majoring in history and political science. How do you feel about the legislation introduced by Rep. Kremer? Send your take to us at opinion@dailycardinal.com.