The MadHatters return to Capitol Theater with fresh faces and new material

UW-Madison’s premier a cappella group, The MadHatters, will make their big return to the Capitol Theater at the Overture Center for their fall show Nov. 13. Quite an impressive reputation precedes these men. They performed at the White House in 2011 and 2012, Lambeau Field in 2014 and the PGA Championship this past summer. They have recorded six studio albums and toured across the United States and Mexico. The Hatters sold out the Overture Center when it reopened back in 2004, and have done so numerous times. They haven’t performed in the Capitol Theater since Spring 2014.

“That was the first time I saw them perform,” current President Jayden Cline said while reminiscing on the performances. “It made me want to join the Hatters and actually inspired me to audition.”

This will be his second fall show, having only been in the group for a year and a half.

“I’m very excited. Before my first show, the guys told me I’d feel a 50-50 mix of excitement and extreme nervousness; I didn’t know what to expect. But I am very excited for this show, it has a different vibe. A lot more ballady and more musically, but still a lot of fun and it’s going to sound really cool.”

So what can we expect? First, “Goodnight Sweetheart,” a song they’ve been performing since the birth of this group in 1997, which is both an audience favorite and a MadHatters classic; second, outstanding beatboxing done by their talented vocal percussionist, Tyler Livingston; and of course, infinitely impeccable solos.

Every Monday night, The MadHatters perform gigs at sorority house chapter meetings. While these girls may have a sneak preview of bits and pieces of the show, we’re still in for a lot of surprises. For example, there will be some new faces performing onstage.

If you’re a diehard collegiate a cappella fan, you’ll be delighted by the new MadHatters members.

“When you first start in a cappella the learning curve is huge, but they’re picking it up really quickly. And they’re fun guys. Also, they’re super musically inclined which helps the process move faster,” Cline said.

Check out The MadHatters Nov. 13 at the Overture Center at 7:30 p.m. Go to their website or find a guy in a red blazer for tickets, starting at $15. If you miss out on their fall show, keep your eyes peeled for their many other concerts throughout the year.