GOP debate Milwaukee

The crowded Republican presidential field met onstage Tuesday to debate in Milwaukee. 

Republican presidential hopefuls discuss the economy in Milwaukee

Few cities have felt the wrath of deindustrialization and globalization like Milwaukee, making it the perfect venue for candidates to sell visions of economic revitalization to disillusioned blue-collar voters.

The usual crowd of Republican candidates gathered there to participate in the fourth debate of the election season, hosted by Fox Business News and The Wall Street Journal.

Before the debate started, Wisconsinites erupted into applause as Gov. Scott Walker stood up and surveyed the stage. The historic Milwaukee theatre was crowded with candidates, making it clear that none heeded Walker’s advice to “clear the field,” as he had in September after seeing his poll numbers plummet and campaign funds run dry.

The candidates immediately plunged into economic policy. Although disagreeing on finer points, every candidate prescribed tax and spending cuts as the best solution for economies in cities like Milwaukee.

Plans ranged from Reagan-esque cuts like those under George W. Bush, to biblically inspired tithing championed by Ben Carson and Sen. Rand Paul’s pledge to make “government so small you can barely see it.”

Borrowing a page from his brother’s playbook, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush promised that 4 percent annual GDP growth would come from cutting income taxes on top earners from 39.6 percent to 28 percent and slashing corporate taxes from 35 to 20 percent.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz urged voters to consider even sharper tax cuts. Cruz suggested a 10 percent flat income tax on individuals and a 16 percent flat tax on businesses.

“There are more words in the IRS code than there are in the Bible, and not a one of them is as good,” Cruz said.

Following Tuesday’s announcement by New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo that his state will raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour, Ohio Gov. John Kasich broke with party orthodoxy and suggested the wage be raised to address income inequality.

“Economic theory is fine, but you know what? People need help,” Kasich said.

Donald Trump, fresh off a performance on Saturday Night Live, was eager to disagree, arguing “we’re not going to be able to compete with the world.”

The real estate and media mogul was also eager to blame the working man’s woes on illegal immigration, calling for the removal of 11 million illegal immigrants because the United States is “a country of laws.”

“It’s hurting us economically, it’s hurting us from every standpoint,” Trump said. “The wall will be built, the wall will be successful.”

Kasich and Bush rushed to protest the proposal that shot Trump to the top of the GOP polls this summer, arguing that moving 11 million people is not feasible.

“Come on folks,” Kasich pleaded. “It's not an adult argument. It makes no sense.”