feingold

Russ Feingold called for increased funding for intelligence efforts in a statement Sunday. 

Feingold revives Foreign Intelligence bill in aftermath of Paris attacks

U.S. Senate candidate Russ Feingold made a statement Sunday calling for increased funding and emphasis on intelligence efforts as France prepared its retaliation for a series of terrorist attacks in Paris.

"While every option should be on the table ... the United States cannot repeat the mistakes of the past by responding to one crisis at a time solely with military action," Feingold said in the statement.

In 2010, Feingold introduced the Foreign Intelligence and Information Commission Act, which was passed into law but remains unfunded.

Feingold maintains that moving forward, the U.S. needs better intelligence. His proposed intelligence commission would include eight people, half chosen from each political party in Congress, as well as two non voting members selected by the president.

"Friday's attacks are a reminder that ISIL threatens all of us, and that we can only succeed together, with our partners and allies, through cooperative intelligence, military and diplomatic efforts,” Feingold said in the statement.