On Nov. 13, UW students held a candlelit vigil at Bascom Hill to show their support for the people of Paris.

Attacks in Paris reignite xenophobia

Paris. That word does not resonate the same way that it did before Nov. 14, 2015. A terrorist attack believed to be orchestrated by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) killed more than 120 people at six different locations outside of the capital by suicide bombs, as well as shootings.

In the wake of the tragedy, support has flooded to this beautiful city. Although the Eiffel Tower remained dark in mourning of the event, several other countries projected the colors of the French flag on national monuments around the globe.

This is the kind of event that renders me speechless. I cannot fathom that one would choose mass murder as a method of sending a message. I cannot stomach how a group can be driven to destroy those that do not agree with their values and beliefs. I simply do not understand how the people of this world have not yet learned to walk together as brothers and sisters, rather than bloodthirsty enemies.

This is just one of the countless attacks that ISIS has executed recently. This terrorist group seeks to obtain dominion first over the Middle East, and then continue to spread their twisted vision of Islam to the rest of the world. They believe that the end goal of Islam is to convert, enslave or kill anyone who is a nonbeliever. However, ISIS’ brand of terror and inhumane acts is nowhere near representative of the whole Muslim world. Islam is a monotheistic and Abrahamic religion based upon the Quran. Islam teaches that the purpose of existence is to worship God. Islam does not exist to rule others, but to worship God. The members of ISIS make up a fraction of a fraction of more than a billion Muslims on the Earth and are not synonymous with Islam.

However, all of this talk of ISIS creates a second, hidden threat to Americans. Just the other day, I read a story about a woman in America who went out to get her mail on Sunday while wearing her hijab. A young, white girl who was walking by called her a terrorist. This girl was no older than 12, and already had this heinous, disrespectful and unworldly perspective toward all Muslims.

If there is any further confusion on the matter, let me address it: Islam is not a religion for terrorists. Not all Muslims share the same beliefs as ISIS. ISIS consists of a group of radical Muslims who feel that it is their duty to command complete global control and subject everyone to Islamic practice. Their interpretation of the Quran is much more extreme than most other Muslims in the world today. The reputation and notoriety that ISIS holds throughout the world causes their values and beliefs to often be blurred with those of the the rest of the world that practices Islam. But despite the constant media coverage, the two are entirely separate entities.

After ISIS attacks, the world mourns together. The outbreak of support for Paris is a magnificent thing to share. It is exquisite to see the world stand together in this way. But it is crucial that we understand specifically who we are blaming for these horrific events. It is the ignorant who point fingers at the many innocent Muslims—these innocent people who cannot even walk to their mailboxes in peace. It is the ignorant that prevent this world from moving forward. It is the ignorant that contribute to the hate and abomination which prevents this world from living in peace, as brothers and sisters.

It is imperative that we as people understand the difference between a terrorist group and a religion. ISIS is not the same as Islam. These people do not deserve the same treatment as a select group of their religious practice. Learn the difference. Terrorism has no religion.

Marisa is a sophomore majoring in journalism. Send all comments to opinion@dailycardinal.com.