Rebecca Bradley

Rebecca Bradley was appointed by Scott Walker to finish out the rest of N. Patrick Crooks' term as state Supreme Court justice.

Walker appoints Rebecca Bradley to Supreme Court

Gov. Scott Walker appointed Judge Rebecca Bradley to the Wisconsin Supreme Court Friday to carry out the rest of Justice N. Patrick Crooks’ term after he passed away last month.

Bradley’s appointment marks the third time Walker has promoted the University of Wisconsin Law School graduate in four years. The conservative judge will leave her position on the Wisconsin Court of Appeals.

“Judge Bradley has truly lived up to her promise to be a judge that demonstrates unwavering commitment to the constitution and the rule of law in every case that comes before her,” Walker said in a statement.

Some judges and politicians loudly opposed Bradley’s interim appointment because of her intention to compete for a full 10-year term in April’s election. Critics called for an appointee who would pledge to step down after the interim period.

“He is giving a campaign contributor an unfair advantage in the race next year so Wisconsin residents will have no chance at having an open and fair election for the Supreme Court Justice seat,” said Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Martha Laning in a statement. “Rebecca Bradley has given generously to Governor Walker and today it is paying off for her with her appointment to the Supreme Court.”

Judge Joe Donald, who will compete with Bradley for a full 10-year term in April, asserted that the appointment is an attempt by Walker to inch the officially nonpartisan court further to the right.

“Judge Rebecca Bradley's unprecedented rise isn't about her qualifications or experience. It is about moving an ideologue who headed the right-wing Federalist Society into a position to support a specific ideological agenda,” Donald said in a statement following the appointment.

Another candidate for the seat, Judge Joanne Kloppenburg, put it in simpler terms, saying that April’s election will present voters with “Governor Walker’s choice or the people’s choice.”

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, brushed off the controversy.

“She has the right qualifications and experience, and is well-respected throughout Wisconsin,” Vos said. “I am confident that she will serve the state well.”