Underachievers

Hailing from Brooklyn, AK and Issa Gold came together to seamlessly blend rap and self-reflection.

Philosophy and hip-hop converge in NYC

Flatbush-based The Underachievers bridge Buddhism and reflection on life for Majestic performance

Eastern philosophy, consciousness and morality: concepts that seem more at home in a textbook or a discussion table and not something you would find at a concert. Prepare yourself for surprise, because The Underachievers will combine all three at the Majestic Thursday.

The Underachievers, originally from the Flatbush neighborhood in Brooklyn, are made up of AK and Issa Gold, both experienced hip-hop lyricists as well as performers. Their first studio album, Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium, debuted in August 2014, following the success of their earlier mixtape “Indigoism.”Recently The Underachievers put out their second studio album, Evermore: The Art of Duality in September 2015, and are touring to support the recent release. 

AK grew up in Flatbush, saying that he had been rapping and writing rhymes since he was a kid, going over to friends and recording and developing his talents. “I was always a shy kid, I didn’t really like talking to people. But when I write down rhymes, that would be my voice, that would be my way of speaking.” He and Issa met, and while Issa originally helped him with backing up his songs, eventually they combined to form the group as it is now. 

The Underachievers, while achieving very high levels of musical quality, drew me in as a listener in more in the way of their lyricism, the messages and ideas that are behind their tracks. Prominent throughout both studio albums as well as in The Underachiever’s mixtapes is the theme of finding self-discovery and consciousness. AK talked about being a functioning member of our current society without losing self-identity. 

“It’s not just living and being a robot, you know, it’s not just I’m going to have a nice vibe, have a family and then die. Questioning myself, like when I was younger like what is this planet? Why am I here? I’m inside this body, like, what is this?” AK said. This led to his discovery of Buddhism and how it played into his life and learning how to live simply. Not the lightest subjects to breach through music, but with stylish beats and infectious hooks The Underachievers deliver a multi-leveled experience, it’s just all about how deep you want to go. 

Recently, there has been a lot of activity out of the New York hip-hop scene which some have said had hit a lull in the past decade. One of the more prominent products of the New York scene recently has been Beast Coast, a group of artists from New York who have been taking the hip-hop world by storm. In this group is the PRO ERA Collective, Flatbush Zombies and The Underachievers. Each of these groups in the movement has their own solo career without infringing upon the identity of their collective Beast Coast roots, a refreshing and much needed boost from the New York scene. 

“Inspirational psychedelic music” is the tag put on The Underachiever’s music, an interesting and very surely rewarding sound that comes to this duo. “It’s just natural... It’s just that sound that comes from us because of what we have experienced and what we have done,” AK said.  when asked about how the sound is made. “It’s not like I go into the studio thinking ‘what can I say to be trippy.’”

But with all these themes of consciousness, there was still a big question to be answered: What is the most exciting thing in their musical career? 

“Just connecting with the fans in every city we go to and seeing their reaction, like, seeing them really feel our songs putting in their emotions and seeing their faces while we’re on stage. Really singing the lyrics from their heart. It’s so beautiful,” AK said. 

According to AK, one of The Underachiever’s goals through their art is to touch people and try and change the world through music. “We’re spiritual people, so like we are just trying to become better and try and help the world unite, live in peace. Which is kinda impossible.” Chuckling at the sometimes futile efforts, it seems these rising names in hip-hop are on the right track, bringing back a genuine feel of passion and message to the genre. 

Where do they go from here? The Underachievers hope to continue to make music that touches people and challenges the way they think. AK expressed his hope that one day they could possibly indulge in more charity, helping those less fortunate. 

The Underachievers will perform Thursday, October 15 at the Majestic Theater at 9:00 p.m. Tickets are still available and will cost $20 on the day of the show.