Democrats call for special session on delayed transportation projects

National and state Democratic lawmakers are calling for a special legislative session to address delays to road projects announced last week, saying the setbacks will hamper Wisconsin’s economy.

U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., state Senate Minority Leader Jennifer Shilling, D-La Crosse, and Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca, D-Kenosha, are among those asking Gov. Scott Walker to convene the special session to fully fund road construction projects that would otherwise be delayed.

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation announced last week that five major road projects, including construction on Verona Road in Dane County, would be pushed back at least two years after cuts in the most recent budget.

Barca and Assembly Democratic leaders asked Walker in a letter to reconsider those funding cuts and called for a special session, saying the state’s transportation infrastructure was “crumbling.”

“It is time to stop playing politics and commit resources to these essential investments,” the legislators wrote. “Road and building projects are a central component to our state’s economy, both directly and indirectly contributing to the state’s job creation.”

However, Walker has called a special session unnecessary, saying the onus is on the Joint Finance Committee to approve state borrowing for the delayed projects.

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, has also insisted a special session is unnecessary and bristled at the Democrats’ requests.

"I think we have plenty of time to do it in the regular session," Vos said at a press conference prior to Assembly session Sept. 24.