Soglin, public discuss city budget priorities

Mayor Paul Soglin wrapped up public conversations on the 2016 city budget July 14, paving the way for the introduction of his executive budget to the Common Council at the beginning of September.

Due to declining state and federal support for many capital projects, Soglin noted to the Board of Estimates July 13 the city could face a budget gap of $7.9 million. He stated the city would have to prioritize certain projects and city services in order to prevent layoffs of non-public safety employees.

Though no layoffs occurred in the last four budgets, Soglin told the Board of Estimates “it’s going to take something exceptional to allow us go forward without layoffs,” in the next budget.

The city budget itself is split into two parts. The capital budget focuses primarily on new building projects and is financed through borrowing, whereas the operating budget covers day-to-day spending on city services and agencies and is funded through taxes and fees.

Many residents called for a reduction in public safety spending and an increased focus on public health, youth and neighborhood services.

“Investing in neighborhoods, child care and other services is public safety,” said Oma Vic, a teacher at Bridges Family Child Care.

In 2015, public safety spending—including police, fire and public health—rose 3.47 percent to $119 million. About $66 million of the total went to police, a 3.12 percent increase.

Soglin will introduce an executive budget to the Council Sept. 1. The Council is scheduled to adopt a budget Nov. 11.