Madison Police Department looks to increase diversity in workforce

Amid strained relationships between residents and police departments across the country, the Madison Police Department has stepped up its recent efforts to have a more trustworthy workforce.

"There are gaps of mistrust," MPD Chief Mike Koval said at a July 14 meeting with the city's Affirmative Action Commission. "There are folks who don't look at [being a police officer] as a noble calling."

African Americans, Native Americans, Asians and Hispanics currently make up 10.22, 1.74, 2.61 and 5 percent of the department, respectively. The same groups make up 7, one-third, 7.3 and 6.8 percent of Madison's general population, according to census data.

City resident Steven Rush challenged the statistics, saying, "these numbers are great, but how many of these people have leadership positions within the force?"

A special committee is currently studying the inequity issue on Madison's police force and its potential for improvement.

Despite the disparities in the police force's racial diversity, Koval noted some bright spots, including the amount of women in the force and those of alternate sexual orientations.

"Women make up 12 percent of the nation's police force, but in Madison we are at over 30 percent, " Koval said. "Also, the efforts that the commission has taken to unapologetically recruit people of all sexual orientations has played a large role in that success."

To create trust between residents and the police force, Koval emphasized the volatility surrounding body cameras.

"How authentic can a relationship be when everything is recorded?" Koval noted.

The committee will report its findings and options for improvement to Common Council in August.