Terrace

When the weather is nice, UW-Madison students flock to the terrace. 

Campus’ signature areas capture UW-Madison character

The UW-Madison campus, spanning more than 930 acres of land and several zip codes, is home to many places that act as epicenters of campus life while drawing students together with the local community. Between the two student unions, more than 40 libraries and countless other popular spots, student life centers around the signature places that make up campus.

The Unions

In his 1904 inaugural address, UW President Charles Van Hise called for the construction of a building to support "the communal life of instructors and students in work, in play, and in social relations." More than 100 years later, the campus community continues to reap the benefits from this demand.

The Memorial Union, often recognized for its iconic architecture and colorful Terrace chairs, along with Union South, the recently revamped building near Camp Randall, host a variety of academic and social events from movie nights to distinguished lecturers.

“The Memorial Union is a UW-Madison staple, whether you're going to meet with friends to study or grabbing a scoop of Babcock ice cream and watching the sunset,” said sophomore Maddie Vogel. “Union South is a great place to meet and study as well. Like the Memorial Union, it's usually not too quiet, but that makes it great for group work. And don't worry, you can get Babcock ice cream at Union South as well.”

The Libraries

Between the ever-populated College Library, open 24 hours during the academic year, to the department-specific libraries like the Journalism Reading Room in Vilas Hall, UW-Madison libraries serve more than 4 million visitors each year, according to the libraries’ website.

Junior Brandon Buss said the best part about having so many libraries is the diversity of experience.

“Whether you want to do homework more socially with friends or really get down to studying, there is a always a perfect place to do both,” Buss said. “I like trying out the lesser known places. You quickly find your favorites.”

The Outdoors

Situated between two lakes, UW-Madison has no shortage of outdoor destinations that are popular among students. Down Lakeshore Path, Picnic Point, a mile-long peninsula along the shores of Lake Mendota, is a highly trafficked, year-round outdoor recreational area for students and community members to run, bike, hike and boat. It has also has been a site for significant ecological research throughout history, according to the Lakeshore Nature Preserve.

If they aren’t studying at the library or a Union, students have also made Bascom Hill, located at the core of campus between State Street and Bascom Hall, a go-to spot for reading and socializing.