Nicole Bauman

Bauman lights it up from 3-point range

There are certain moments in any sport that define a player’s career: Michael Jordan’s Flu Game in the 1997 NBA Finals, Derek Jeter’s walk-off hit in his final at-bat, Rafael Nadal’s grueling five-set win over Roger Federer in the 2008 Wimbledon final. Nicole Bauman’s historic three-point barrage against Ohio State was her moment.

The Badgers were fighting their way through a tough season and were headed into battle against superstar Kelsey Mitchell, the nation’s second-leading scorer.

When the teams walked on to the court, Mitchell was the star, but by the time they left, Bauman had stolen the show. She rained down 3-pointer after 3-pointer, single-handedly keeping UW in the game. It’s rare to watch a game and assume every shot will go in, but she just couldn’t miss.

Bauman started the game “slow,” hitting three of her six first half attempts from deep, but the second half was like nothing the Kohl Center has ever seen. She drilled threes on three of the Badgers first four possessions of the period, and by the time the game ended it seemed she’d forgotten the paint existed. She attempted just one 2-pointer in the half, a 17-foot jumper.

There was a point in the game where it felt like a failed possession if anyone else was shooting, be it a layup or an open three. The way Bauman was shooting, it just didn’t feel right. Everyone in the building wanted the ball to find its way to her.

The Buckeyes looked lost defensively, as Bauman just kept finding open space behind the arc. Her threes felt like layups. The commentators were in disbelief that she was still getting open and in awe of her stroke.

When it was all said and done, Bauman had made a school record eight 3-pointers and dropped a game-high 31 points. Nobody could have stopped her that night.

There’s something to be said for putting on a show in a losing effort. The Buckeyes team that the Badgers faced was practically unbeatable, but for 40 minutes, Bauman entertained the home crowd with her heroics and brought the team within a few shots of victory. Bauman’s night against Ohio State was the brightest moment of a dim season, and it meant a lot to the team and the fans to see her play so well.

Her performance that night secured her place in Wisconsin sports lore, and those who were there that night will never forget the sound of her shots catching nothing but net.