Mick Jenkins

Mick Jenkins will perform on the Main Stage on Library Mall at Revelry this year, joining other electronic and rap acts.

Mick Jenkins fuses Chicago soul, southern rap

Mick Jenkins follows in the tradition of this year’s Revelry Music and Arts Festival headliner, Chance The RapperThe Social Experiment, as a hip-hop artist from Chicago. Having released “The Water[s]”—his most recent mixtape—last August, Jenkins will have a fresh bundle of songs available for his set this coming May 2.

"The Water[s]" brings an interesting dichotomy to the listener’s ear, mixing atmospheric southern rap, drawling beats and the up-tempo, jazz stylings of the music that made Chicago famous. The result is a mixtape featuring a word-twisting, young MC flexing his lyrical muscles over high quality production from a laundry list of emerging technicians. 

Speaking on everything from drinking plenty of water—maybe a possible euphemism—to searching for success in the streets, Jenkins created a project that transcends stereotypical mixtape themes, and occupies a land of musical ingenuity and hip-hop redefinition. "The Water[s]" does not follow tired rap themes—it blazes a new path through the rugged forest of modern music and youth culture.

Jenkins should feel right at home on our isthmus as water is addressed in some fashion on every track of "The Water[s].” The music of Jenkins—laidback beats and liquid lyricism—and whoever may bless the stage at his side will be the perfect soundtrack for a beautiful afternoon on Library Mall.

For this year’s festival, it seems as if the Wisconsin Union Directorate Music Committee has placed an emphasis on electronic and hip-hop music, as Mick Jenkins will join multiple local rap artists featured on the Main and Terrace Stage—including your fellow students CRASHprez, Lord of the Fly and Max Meridius—as well as electronic exemplars such as The Chainsmokers and Until The Ribbon Breaks.

Expect to see a man bringing an entertaining stage presence, enlightened rap and a good wardrobe to Revelry on May 2, and, in the words of Mr. Jenkins, stay hydrated.

Check back next week for our final previews, and get ready for Revelry, which will hit Library Mall May 2.