Youth engagement takes center stage in sixth mayoral forum

The context of Tony Robinson’s death last week was not ignored by Madison Mayor Paul Soglin and Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, in the sixth of a series of mayoral candidate forums, which was hosted by the Urban League of Greater Madison Thursday.

“If this debate had occurred more than a week ago, I would have presented a very different opening statement,” Soglin said.

Resnick recalled beginning last Friday evening at a One City Early Learning Centers kick off event before hearing the news.

“I ended that evening on Willy Street, with Paul, with members of the family and with people who were taking to the streets,” Resnick said. “And that’s where we saw the true reflection of Madison and the problems we face in our community.”

The ensuing conversation, ranging from gang violence to economic development, focused in particular on youth engagement as a central theme, with both candidates in agreement.

With estimates of approximately 30 youth gangs with around 4,000 members in Madison, according to forum member St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church Pastor Joseph Baring, both candidates emphasized finding options for at-risk youth, and how to get younger generations involved in that decision making process.

However, those estimates were based on surveys of youth that are not a part of gangs, but have rather come in contact with gang members, according to Soglin.

“The problem is more serious than just gangs. It is about opportunity, it is about dreams and it is about hope. And in talking to young people about last Friday’s tragedy, it is a much deeper concern,” Soglin said. “Most importantly, it’s not about adults making decisions for youth, but about 16-26 year olds [making those decisions].”

Resnick cited his own experience on a youth commission in Wausau, as well his time as the youngest member on Common Council.

“We don’t listen to our youth, we scold them … but what they want to see is action,” Resnick said. “We need to ensure that if gang members want out, they have a safe haven to go to, whether it is a police station or faith based organization … right now we need to make sure we foster an environment where every young person will have success in Madison.”

For Dr. Floyd Rose, who introduced the debate, the mayoral debate’s undercurrent of Tony Robinson’s death drove a discussion that otherwise would not be taking place.

“Much of the concern right now has been predicated on what happened last Friday. If that man had been shot [by someone of his own race] we would not be having this conversation,” Rose said. “It is time for us to ... go forth so that there is true opportunity for our young people.”