Rapper Lil Dicky provides entertainment for Majestic crowd

Professional Rapper Tour was not something to be overlooked. This past Friday Lil Dicky was watching the Badger game while preparing for a sold-out crowd at the Majestic Theatre. They played the Badger game with an open bar before the concert. They have a nice screen that proved to be useful later in the night. My best friend was downtown and ready to see his first show ever at the venue. I was pretty impressed by how hyped the crowd was when arriving.

Charles Grant, probably a face you’ve all seen walking around downtown was on stage rocking it. This guy has been around here for years collaborating with local rappers such as CRASHprez and Lord of The Fly. All of them are great openers in every venue and are very ingrained in the Madison rap scene. Charles was just coming off his second album 924, which was released after 22 not too long ago. Some of the memorable tracks were “WhiteTrash” and “Hive.” It’s always wonderful seeing local rappers getting a piece of the stage in front of bigger acts like Lil Dicky. 

After Charles came a man by the name of Saint Millie with DJ Juggernaut. This rapper was obviously from Chicago where rap always has and will be huge. The city basically breeds rappers like we breed cows. Now maybe these don’t seem to be similar at all. Saint Millie was coming off his most recent release GLORY. This album was perfect for the crowd as he got really hyped up. Some tracks are dark and slow like “Sirens,” while others were perfect for the rowdy crowd of Badger fans. I actually watched as he remixed Kanye, Jay-Z and others to create “Smoke Wit Me,” using the instrumental from J. Cole’s “Rich Ni**az.” 

When the lights went up I didn’t think the concert would be as wild. Looking around I counted about as many girls at the concert as there are on UW-Platteville’s entire campus (about 10). It was about to get hot and sweaty when I noticed a young guy was sleeping on the floor. Now this isn’t just any floor, it has character to it and to this guy it was all he ever wanted in life. Soon the guy was taken out of the venue and the show was about to start up again. 

I knew that Lil Dicky was going to be entertaining, he is a comedian and rapper based out of Philadelphia. Now if you haven’t heard of Lil Dicky his name gives it away already. He was originally out to test rapping and has slowly molded himself into a force to be reckoned with. He came to be after the viral release of his song “Ex-Boyfriend.” Also, even more wild is the fact that he’s Jewish and posted a rap battle against Hitler. He released a mixtape “So Hard,” in 2013 and quickly began working on what elevated him onto the pedestal he now stands upon at his concerts. Lil Dicky had a basketball warm-up video to introduce himself and started off real strong. Opening the show with “Club Night,” he then moved to some new stuff off the album Professional Rapper released March 2015.  

Lil Dicky was an interesting guy who seems to be pained and may have had his confidence shot by some of his past relationships with girls. He exposes himself and really tells people how he feels without hiding anything. All of his songs seem to be about how he wasn’t able to get girls. The songs are so catchy though it’s hard not to love the guy. He stopped the show to give us a small presentation on his business background, which consisted of facts all about women. 

He then moved on to his jam “Lemme Freak.” The confidence he has gained seems to be growing and growing as he pulled this guy’s girlfriend on stage. You can assume that he sang to her and all, but I was not expecting him to give her a mid song lap dance. Besides this, her boyfriend was just laughing and taking videos of it. Lil Dicky pulled his hype man Gata GED for the next couple songs and really dropped the bass like he’s good at. He got the crowd jumping with a cover of “Whoomp There it is,” originally by Tag Team. Lil Dicky was a sight to see.