Items recovered from College Court robbery

A College Court robbery ended in a relatively successful sting operation over the weekend, in which a Madison Police Department officer posed as a victim’s boyfriend in order to recover what was stolen, according to an MPD incident report.

The burglar allegedly gained entry to the College Court residence around 4 a.m. Saturday through an unlocked door, MPD Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain wrote in the report. The 21-year-old and 20-year-old female victims reported that the two backpacks the burglar stole contained a laptop, textbooks, an iPod and a cell phone.

The investigating officer called the cell phone, leaving a message pretending be the victim’s boyfriend, and offered a $100 reward for the phone’s safe return. A man returned the phone call to set up a time and place to meet at a Regent Street fast food facility, DeSpain wrote.

Two men, Andrew Adams, 21, and Jeramie Sullivan, 18, arrived carrying one of backpacks, expecting to meet only the concerned boyfriend. When additional officers confronted Adams and Sullivan, the two men reported having found the backpack and claimed not to know the second backpack and the laptop’s whereabouts.

Police arrested Adams and Sullivan, citing them for receiving stolen property, and successfully returned one of the backpacks to its owner.