Common Council passes downtown area planning process unanimously

Madison’s Common Council unanimously approved a planning process for implementing recommendations and examining issues associated with the ongoing changes on State Street and Capitol Square without debate during its brief meeting Tuesday.

“Hopefully it bodes well for a successful process that there was no controversy,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said.

The process, which will continue over the next two years, will look at a myriad of aspects related to the downtown area, according to Verveer.

“It’s everything from the debated issue of a healthy retail mix versus bars and restaurants, to the issue of the future of Madison Metro buses on State Street … to the issue of should State Street be made a historic district.” Verveer said. “Obviously, it will be a laborious process.”

Verveer also cited the need for public input throughout the process.

“The plan will only be as good as the public input we receive,” Verveer said. “And it will be critical to try and encourage UW students to participate in this process.”

A similar study was conducted in 1999, Verveer said. This proposed study in many ways will update the original.

In a separate decision, Council members unanimously granted a liquor license for The Double U on the 600 block of University Avenue. The new sports bar will be coming to the venue previously occupied by Johnny O’s Sports Lounge.

“[The owners of The Double U] hope to open by May, at the latest, in time for commencement,” Verveer said.