Cakes da Killa

New Jersey rapper Cakes da Killa brought his 2Lit2Quit Tour to the Sett last Thursday. 

Cakes da Killa shines at Sett performance

As the lights dimmed in Union South, the Sett began to settle into a slow thump that reverberated through the building like a heartbeat. Last Thursday was a night to celebrate completed midterms and the LGBT movement, with rapper Cakes da Killa’s 2Lit2Quit Tour. Crowds of people powered through the bitter night to get their groove on to DJ Uniiqu3. While wandering around the crowd, I had a weird urge to shake my butt. My friend standing next to me came up with this new term for genre that mixes rap and trap music, titled “Twerk-house.” Everyone was in for a treat with these two artists, both of whom are from New Jersey. As the show progressed, Cakes da Killa finally stepped in. 

With the backing of DJ Uniiqu3 he continued the vibe that was already pulsing through everyone. Playing from his recently released EP’s, the rapper showed the humor and serious tones of his flow. Of course, it can still be an interesting topic to get into, as Cakes da Killa was open and willing to reflect on the LGBT movement. As the audience kept going, he stepped into the crowd and started getting everyone more involved. He made references to Frank Ocean and included many raunchy yet humorous jokes throughout his songs. 

I had not been too exposed to Cakes da Killa before walking into the show, but he is a unique artist and is doing big things. His mixtape, The Eulogy, is what earned him much of his following. Recently he released another mixtape, Hunger Pangs, and a five track extended play titled "#IMF." It was entertaining seeing the harsh rap coming from the inner heart, while on the outside Cakes da Killa appeared as a gentle teddy bear. As the show came to a close, Cakes da Killa put on his banger “I Run This Club,” and the tired partygoers gave their last ounce of energy to the amazing crew.