‘Wet Hot American Summer’ trailer provides hope for TV

Last week, I may have mentioned that this time of year is where TV goes to die. however, what I dod not take into account is that it’s trailer season! Not one but two super-amazing, awesome trailers debuted over the past week: one for season five of “Game of Thrones” and the other for “Wet Hot American Summer.” We knew that a “Game of Thrones” trailer would be forthcoming, and rather than shoot my “GOT” wad this early in the semester, I’ll just say that it was awesome. Like, really awesome. But the real exciting (and kind of unexpected) news of the day belongs to the “Wet Hot American Summer” teaser. 

For the benefit of the uninitiated, “Wet Hot American Summer” is a 2001 comedy that basically rips on all the basic camp-movie tropes. This essentially includes crafts, talent shows, swimming, ridiculous eighties clothing and everything you think about when you think about summer camp. It also happens to star pretty much every actor ever, including (but not limited to) Bradley Cooper, Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Amy Poehler, Ken Marino, Molly Shannon and Janeane Garofalo. Also it just so happens that all of those listed above are coming back for the series, so this is a pretty big deal—especially considering how busy all of these people are. Think about it: they can’t make another season of “Sherlock” because Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch can’t get their shit together, but all of those listed above signed on to get this done. Also, in a case of classic Netflix wizardry, an eight-episode season is coming this summer.

The show also speaks to Netflix’s penchant for adapting and distributing series as opposed to creating all of their own original content. Similar to “Arrested Development,” “Wet Hot American Summer” is an established brand that people already know and enjoy. Honestly, this couldn’t get much safer for the company; it’s sure to generate a ton of buzz. The teaser has already been trending on Facebook (I know, it’s Facebook, but still), and it has big nerds like me super excited while not actually giving anything away or showing anything at all. It could suck, but I won’t know until it’s too late and I won’t stop watching regardless. It’ll probably be good, because all those lights of comedic film listed above probably wouldn’t have signed on if it wasn’t… but I just can’t be sure. Congratulations, Netflix. You win again. 

Oh, and did I mention it’s a prequel? Now, you’re probably wondering how that could possibly be the case. I mean, if the movie was made in 2001, how could these actors and actresses play characters that they were mostly too old to play ten years ago, only this time they’re younger? Honestly, I don’t know, but I’m excited to find out. This is precisely the type of comedy that “Wet Hot American Summer” embodies, and I cannot wait to find out where it goes. 

What television trailers have you excited? Let Jake know at smasal@wisc.edu.