Rep. Taylor details dangers of Walker’s budget

Can you imagine UW-Madison after it has been decimated by Governor Walker’s budget cuts? 

Neither can I. That’s why as a member of the Joint Finance Committee that will be considering Gov. Walker’s state budget, I am committed to creating economic opportunities for Wisconsinites and ensuring our children have a chance to succeed. 

Unfortunately, Governor Walker’s proposed budget does just the opposite by continuing his failed economic agenda that created the $2.2 billion Walker deficit.  While many other states are enjoying budget surpluses and investing in their children, Governor Walker is one of only a handful of governor’s who proposes some of the most dramatic cuts to public education in the country.  

Governor Walker is using the Walker deficit as an excuse to cut one of the jewels of our state, our UW System.  Though he retreated on his attempt to amend the Wisconsin idea, the system will suffer, at a minimum, at least a $300 million dollar cut on the heels of his prior irresponsible $250 million cut. 

Governor Walker’s proposed decimation of our world-class university system will hurt our economy, Wisconsin families and our children.   

This is economically shortsighted during the sluggish Walker economy. The UW System is a powerful economic engine, contributing more than $15 billion to our economy.  The UW helps create not only the jobs of today, but the jobs of tomorrow. Many career opportunities Wisconsin students have after graduation come from the UW. According to the Managing Director of Madison’s University Research Park, “Dane County is creating 73% of the net new jobs in Wisconsin, and that is all being driven by UW-Madison and companies in the technology ecosystem that surround the university.” Not only does the UW System educate our kids, it provides them with high quality employment opportunities that will keep them in our state and prevent “brain drain.”

Already we are hearing that top researchers previously recruited to Madison are no longer coming because of Walker’s stark budget, according to press accounts.  Many faculty members combine to secure over $1 billion in research funding each year, which is invested back into our community. The best and the brightest faculty are not going to come to a struggling system.  We should strive to continue the UW’s greatness.  Not accept mediocrity.  

Governor Walker’s UW cuts will hurt our children’s future and their ability to access a quality, affordable UW education.  The UW is ranked among the top 50 schools nationwide by US News and World Report amongst many institutions that charge more than $40,000 a year in tuition, nearly four times the cost of tuition at UW-Madison.  In just a few short years, Governor Walker’s budget proposal will likely raise the cost of tuition and increase the percentage of students from elsewhere.  This could price out many Wisconsin students

Wisconsin’s families work hard to give their kids a bright future by scrimping and saving to send their kids to college. We should make it easier for parents to afford a world-class institution like UW-Madison.

Obtaining a quality education is part of the American dream. In Wisconsin that dream is still possible because of our UW System.  Our budget should create economic opportunities for Wisconsin families. We need to give a raise to Wisconsin families. And we need to give our kids the opportunity to access the education and training they need to succeed and compete in a 21st Century economy. We need to help Wisconsin families achieve the American Dream, not put it out of reach. 

I look forward to getting to work to craft a budget that works for the people of Wisconsin by creating opportunities for families that will help our children succeed.

Chris Taylor is a representative from Wisconsin’s 76th Assembly District. Do you agree with her view of Gov. Walker’s proposed budget? Is there anything she may have overlooked? We’d like to hear from you. Please send all feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.