Mike Koval

Chief Mike Koval explained a new "police matrix" in a meeting with Madison police and fire departments as a new, more transparent way of approaching police discipline.

Madison police officers and firefighters fill new city positions

Fire and police officials concentrated on an updated disciplinary system and new hires in a Madison Police and Fire Department Commissioners meeting Monday.

The fire department had several recent promotions of new firefighters from their probationary period, Assistant Chief Michael Popovich said. He said two firefighters would be joining with previous medical experience and will be activated as medics right away.

In addition, several other firefighters, including Lieutenant Sean Murray and Lieutenant Kevin Sherry, are being recommended to commissioners for potential promotions.

Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain is helping the fire department interview candidates for someone to fill a similar role at the department.

MPD is also in the process of training and hiring new officers. The “pre-service academy” phase is coming to an end, but trainees will continue to learn skills with the Madison Police Training Center through May.

The 2014 Pre-Service Academy class consisted of 15 positions selected from over 1,000 applicants, according to a release.

In addition to the current class moving forward, MPD expects a brand new academy with a class of 25 to begin training shortly.

MPD has recently implemented a new “police matrix” type of disciplinary system within the department. Chief Mike Koval said the matrix creates a “more transparent way to handle police discipline.”

“I want us to be known by the code of conduct,” Koval said about the department’s view on disciplinary action.

The matrix lays out varying degrees of offenses, with more serious actions like falsifying records resulting in heavier disciplinary action.