Drunken driver hits driver’s ed car twice

An intoxicated Madison driver was taken into custody for colliding twice with a driver’s education vehicle at the intersection of North Stoughton Road and East Washington Avenue Wednesday, according to a Madison Police Department report.

Todd A. Cavolt, 45, had his seventh drunken driving offense, rear-ending the vehicle of the student driver and his instructor at approximately 4:44 p.m.

The teen driver from Sun Prairie was waiting in traffic to continue outbound on East Washington Avenue when he was first rear-ended. Afterward, his instructor told him to pull over to exchange information with the other driver. As the teen did so, the car was rear-ended a second time by the same driver, MPD Public Information Officer Joel DeSpain wrote in the report.

Seeing deployed air-bags and front end damage, including a broken windshield on the other car, the instructor went to check the driver’s status. The teacher returned to the driver’s ed car and called police after Cavolt responded with only a blank stare. Before officers arrived, Cavolt walked up on the driver's ed vehicle and said,”Student driver, huh?” before fleeing the scene, DeSpain wrote.

Police arrested Cavolt, citing him for hit-and-run. He is currently on a probation hold.