Rushad Machhi

Conference disparities hurt integrity of NBA playoffs

The Detroit Pistons, once owners of a 5-23 record midway through December, are now 2.5 games out of a playoff spot in the (L)Eastern conference. Did they go on an amazing run to approach a .500 record, a respectable and deserving win-loss total for a playoff team?

Nope, absolutely not. While the Pistons have gone on a bit of a run as of late, they possess a pitiful 19-30 record, which somehow puts them just a mere 2.5 games back of the Miami Heat, who as of now own the No. 8 seed with a 21-27 record.

Here’s a truth that brings tears to my eyes; two teams out of Miami, Detroit, Charlotte and Brooklyn, all of whom are at least six games under .500, will make the playoffs while two teams out of Oklahoma City, Phoenix and New Orleans, all who are at least .500 will be sitting home at home this April. Houston, we have a problem.

If the sad reality I just presented is not enough to convince Adam Silver to reconsider the abolishment of conferences in the NBA to seed playoff teams, then I don’t know what is. The conference system in its current state has no place in the NBA, especially considering the damage it does to the product.

While unpredictable events always occur in the NBA, if I had to make a projection, Oklahoma City will turn it on soon and make the playoffs, and as a reward for that, viewers will not see MVP candidate and burgeoning superstar Anthony Davis take the court during the playoffs. Same with the fun and fast-paced Suns.

If the playoffs started today, and we slide the Pelicans and Thunder into the East where they would be the 7th and 8th seeds respectively, suddenly first round snoozefests become must-watch action. An Atlanta versus OKC first round matchup? I’m salivating. Sadly, that is merely a pipe dream thanks to a broken system which rewards geography rather than on-court performance.

Let’s say we place Detroit into the West. Instead of being a mere 2.5 games out of the eighth spot, now they are 8.5 games back, which for a 19-30 team is definitely more appropriate and logical.

The creation of Western and Eastern conferences may have been a bit more logical many decades ago when travel was a larger burden. These days, in a world of private jets and chartered flights, that reasoning is as out of date as a flip phone. It has been for many years now, and it has robbed not only many deserving teams, but also NBA fans who have to witness a product that is not reaching its true potential.

The NBA itself would likely see a large benefit to abolishing conferences as well. More exciting playoff series between more evenly matched teams should bring more eyeballs to the television set. I’m willing to put a decent chunk of money that ratings would have been higher for a Miami-Phoenix first round series rather than the apathetic Miami-Charlotte matchup that occurred last season.

So please Adam Silver, when Anthony Davis, Eric Bledsoe, Goran Dragic and a host of other talented players on legitimate contending teams will be stuck at home while we watch Lance Stephenson blow in someone’s ear, rethink this relic of a system.

Do you think the NBA should get rid of its two-conference system and allow the best 16 teams in? Is there a way to preserve conferences yet still change the playoff structure? Email machhi@wisc.edu to tell him your thoughts.