Gen Carter

ASM Chair Gen Carter brainstorms ideas to keep students involved during the budget process.

ASM tackles proposed shared governance removal

The Associated Students of Madison Student Council examined the possible fate of shared governance in the recently released state biennial budget during its meeting Wednesday.

Council members expressed immediate concern over the $300 million in cuts, autonomy measures for the UW System and the budget’s explicit elimination of shared governance power in UW schools.

Legislative Affairs Chair Tom Gierok introduced Walker’s removal of shared governance to the group and articulated his concerns over losing a forum for student voice.

“Not only are we losing funding, we’re losing our seat at the table and our ability to fight for that funding,” Gierok said.

ASM Vice Chair Derek Field explained that according to messages from UW System administration, principles of shared governance will be absorbed by the Board of Regents.

This would give the appearance of normal function for a short period of time, Field said, but shared governance would still be losing protection from the state, which he argued is where the strength of the institution originates.

UW-Madison will absorb at minimum 40 percent of the budget cuts, ASM Chair Genevieve Carter reported, which she said will mean staff layoffs.

Carter explained these layoffs will challenge and possibly “diminish” the quality of a degree from the university.

The council discussed the measures they will take as the budget process continues, including keeping students informed and involved.

“We need to be recruiting students and letting them know not only what the implications of something like this will be, but how to get in touch with their legislators,” Carter said.

Additionally, Carter expressed the council will be reaching out to several external groups for support.

Among the groups contacted will be UW-Madison alumni and representatives from UW schools, as well as Parent-Teacher Associations across the state, which Carter said have a vested interest in higher education accessibility and affordability.

The council concluded the meeting by brainstorming ideas to maintain visibility as budget discussions continue.

“I think one of the main concerns is to not lose momentum,” Carter said. “We can’t stop trying to get attention over this issue.”