New York City gets Brunch'd Together

Over winter break, the Brunch’d Together team (and by team I mean me, myself and I) took a trip to New York City.

Known as The Big Apple, The City, The Melting Pot, New York City is home to over eight million people.

That many people can only mean one thing. So. Many. Brunch. Options.

New York is packed to the brim with brunch spots.

If I’d had it my way, I would have gone for three rounds of brunch every morning, but unforunately, my stomach and wallet weren’t on board with that plan.

Nevertheless, I experienced some spectacular brunch moments for the books.

My esteemed host, and older brother, is arguably as much of a brunch fanatic as myself, so I knew I was in capable hands as we ventured into Brooklyn for our late morning/mid-afternoon meals.

We started simple, going for the iconic bagel and coffee on-the-go before catching the subway to Manhattan, because apparently that makes you a New Yorker.

I tried to act casual, but really I was just doing my best to not fall over in the subway, thus spilling my coffee everywhere and making it obvious that I was very far from a local.

But all balance issues aside, the toasted bagel with cream cheese was everything I could have asked for and more.

Before this meal I thought all bagels were pretty much the same. New York proved me wrong, I’ll say that much.

The next day we stopped by a popular Brooklyn spot called Walter’s. It took me about three seconds to fall in love with everything this place had to offer.

The décor was vintage and classic, the tables squished together in a cozy fashion.

After my first cup of outstanding coffee, I knew I was in for a big treat.

I had high expectations for the Walter’s breakfast sandwich; my brother had raved about it, I had dreamed about it.

Let me tell you, the Walter’s breakfast sandwich did not disappoint. It was absolutely one of the top five foods I’ve ever tasted.

The bacon was delightfully crispy; the cheddar cheese melted to just the right degree; the egg fried to perfection, and to hold it all together, the roll was toasted but not burnt.

I love vegetables and sauces more than anyone else I know, however this breakfast sandwich made from very simple ingredients was nothing short of a masterpiece.

By the end of the meal, I could confidently say that a plane ticket would be worth the cost, if only for another Walter’s breakfast sandwich.

Another notable mention from my long weekend: the breakfast nachos at No. 7, a restaurant also located in Brooklyn.

Now, I am always game for a plate of nachos.

And so, needless to say, I was beyond excited at the concept of nachos in breakfast form.

These breakfast nachos were piled high with beans, swiss cheese, jalapenos and pho garnish, all atop a bed of crunchy tortilla chips.

There was the option of adding spicy chorizo, so obviously I opted in.

Breakfast nachos had never been on my brunch radar before, but I’ll certainly be keeping my eye out for them in Madison.

After this incredible experience I felt obliged to encourage all Brunch’d Together readers to exit their comfort zones on their next break of vacation.

And not just in the sense of where you choose to go, but more importantly, what you choose to eat.

The simplest sandwich or the most eccentric dish on the menu may very well become the highlight of your entire trip.

New York is a gigantic place, full of busy people, bright lights and strange noises. But, sitting at a corner table with a breakfast sandwich in hand and my older brother across from me, I felt right at home as we Brunch’d Together.