Paul Soglin

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin argues there must be a clear objective for the proposed police body camera research study funding at Board of Estimates Monday night.

Madison's Board of Estimates agrees on police body camera research funding

Madison’s Board of Estimates agreed to allocate $30,000 to research citywide public opinion regarding the use of body cameras by Madison police, as well as to determine the benefits from the use of such cameras.

According to Madison Police Chief Mike Koval, out of the $30,000 allocated to the research project, $10,000 will be for site visits, $17,000 for consulting services, $1,000 for spreading awareness and $2,000 for printing for these needs.

However, Koval acknowledged that these numbers are crude parameters and that $17,000 for consulting is “probably a minimum.”

Ald. Denise DeMarb, District 16, said the committee is hoping they will know the results of the research and how to proceed before the 2016 budget is announced. Chief Koval said that should this occur, he hopes to begin using body cameras in a concentrated area by the spring of 2016. He stated that a good area for this to occur is south Madison.

He also said he wants a project manager who is hired by the city and does not want the project led by police to avoid potential attempts to tailor the results.

Although the committee’s decision to allocate the $30,000 on research was unanimous, some said they would be reluctant to sign a bill requiring Madison police to use body cameras.

“I am not sold on cameras to the solution of much of anything,” Ald. Lisa Subeck, District 1, said. “The more [the Board of Estimates] discuss it the less and less I am sold on it.”

Subeck also expressed concern that the $30,000 is just for research and does not begin to address the expense of providing body cameras.

Mayor Paul Soglin also said that the committee has not clearly defined an objective for the research, which is a problem.

“Is our objective body cameras?” Soglin said. “I hope it is not.”

Echoing Subeck’s and Soglin’s comments, Koval voiced concern about the efficacy of body camera use.

“I am concerned that cameras are becoming my industry’s flavor of the month,” Koval said.

However, Koval did go on to express his willingness to accept the study’s findings.

“If the study’s findings are that the project [body cameras] create stronger trust bonds then [sign me up],” Koval said.