Becky Blank

Chancellor Rebecca Blank received the Daniel Patrick Moynihan Prize for her governmental and economic work.

Chancellor Blank named winner of Daniel Patrick Moynihan Prize

The American Academy of Political and Social Science awarded UW-Madison Chancellor Rebecca Blank with the Daniel Patrick Moynihan Prize, according to a Wednesday UW-Madison release.

This accolade is given to individuals who excel in combining social science research with public policy and add to conversations about public concern.

“We’re thrilled that Dr. Blank is this year’s winner,” AAPSS Executive Director Tom Kecskemethy said in the release. “She’s both a distinguished scholar and active public servant and someone who really connects the dots between the two.”

This is the second award Blank has received from the AAPSS. Prior to becoming the chancellor at UW-Madison, she was most notably an economic adviser during the Clinton administration.

In a top position at the U.S. Department of Commerce, Blank guided 45,000 employees to promote economic development, specifically surrounding job creation.

"I have colleagues who know my research well and know me as an economist; I have colleagues who know my policy work and government service well," Blank said in the release. "But these worlds are often separate. This award brings them together, recognizing my contributions in both areas. That's incredibly gratifying."