Zach Wood

Zach Wood, running unopposed for Scott Resnick's former City Council seat, is also balancing being a UW-Madison student.

Alder-elect Zach Wood balances school, campaign

While most of his classmates are preparing for a looming graduation date, UW-Madison senior Zach Wood is running unopposed for Madison’s District 8 aldermanic position.

The balancing act between being a student, searching for a job and maintaining a social life, all while campaigning, has been a challenge for Wood, but he said it has helped him grow personally through talking to community members.

“It’s nice talking to your neighbors and hearing what people have to say,” Wood said. “Being able to put names to faces and stories to names has been really cool.”

Wood, a third generation Badger who has spent his whole life in Dane County, said the choice to attend UW was an easy one because Madison has always felt like home.

The alder-elect said he came from a politically inclined family, but during his senior year of high school he became actively involved in politics when he saw how Act 10, the 2011 state law that limited unions’ ability to collectively bargain, affected so many people close to him.

“It was a powerful experience to see the impact government can have on people’s lives,” Wood said. “That was a transformative moment for me.”

For other students who are interested in politics but not sure how to be politically active, Wood said the most important thing is to “just show up.” He said he began his journey to city council by showing up to College Democrats meetings during his freshman year.

“If you care and want to be involved, show up,” Wood said. “It looks scary from the outside … but keep showing up, and it will work itself out.”

Wood said the decision to run for the alder position was a collective one. His friends and family all encouraged him to go for it, and he was also influenced by the amount of untapped potential he found in Madison.

“How many smart, engaged, motivated and talented people we have is really what makes us such a special community,” Wood said. “I want to make sure they have the resources they need to stop the brain drain of people coming here, getting educated and then leaving.”