Ray Cross

UW System President Ray Cross said his proposed reforms will more closely align the state and university in their needs.

UW System to re-evaluate segregated fees, students voice concern

President Ray Cross unveiled potential UW System internal reforms that could lead to a change in student segregated fees at a Board of Regents meeting Friday.

In the package of reforms Cross said will more closely align state and university needs, he focused on three main campus-related areas: business practices, academic priorities and the approval processes for facility requests and segregated fees.

“Innovation and technology provide us with new opportunities to rethink how we do things,” Cross said. "If we do our jobs well, the result will be a stronger UW System, one that adds value to our students, our faculty, our staff, our unique and varied institutions; and to the people of Wisconsin."

In addition to reforms that would aim to lower the required credits to graduate and evaluate courses with lower enrollments, Cross’s proposal includes plans to review student segregated fee levels with “unprecedented scrutiny.”

“Assuring the quality and affordability of a UW education for our students and their families is one of our top priorities,” Cross said.

He added that Freda Harris, UW-System’s associate vice president for budget and planning, is slated to spearhead the fees’ re-evaluation.

The Associated Students of Madison released a statement after the meeting expressing its concern with the proposed measure.

“This announcement is being made without the consultation and input of student stakeholders,” ASM Press Office Director Emily Kurtz said in the release.

ASM added in its statement that the segregated fees are closely monitored and adjusted by its governing bodies based on student need, and is concerned that university officials are not as in tune to those needs.

“Public universities are becoming out-of-touch with the needs of working students and families,” Kurtz said in the statement. “UW-Madison campus decision-makers continue to use students’ tuition dollars to fund the flagship’s campus-centered goals rather than classroom learning that focuses on students.”

While the reform plan is still in its beginning stages, Cross said a planning committee of campus leaders and system staff has been assembled to determine the plan’s priorities. A series of public listening sessions statewide are also scheduled to take place in February, according to Cross.