Jack Ikegwuono

Jack Ikegwuono, a former Badger and Philadelphia Eagles cornerback, was arrested with his twin after four robberies. 

Madison police arrest former badger football player after four downtown robberies

After tracking the SUV used in three previous Madison robberies, the Madison and Middleton police departments were able to arrest former Badger cornerback Jack Ikegwuono and his twin brother William after their fourth and final robbery Wednesday, Nov. 26.

Jack Ikegwuono, 28, became a Philadelphia Eagles cornerback in 2008 after playing for the Badgers. He was arrested in 2006 for a residential burglary and criminal trespassing in Illinois.

Joel DeSpain, MPD spokesperson, said in a report that police identified the brothers’ SUV as their getaway vehicle in surveillance videos from robbing Life is good and Madison Modern Market on State Street.

A Madison detective placed a GPS tracker on the SUV in question after receiving a warrant that led police to the suspects after they robbed Klinke Cleaners on Odana Road. According to the report, the investigation indicates most of the money from the robberies was put toward heroin.

Madison police recently arrested four individuals involved in a string of robberies that occurred in Madison and Middleton due to intensive detective work and tracking crime patterns, according to MPD Sgt. Ed Marshall.

Marshall said he did not believe the two groups of criminals were connected.

Although police were able to put an end to these two groups of criminals contributing to 10 different robberies in and around Madison, two more robberies occurred within an hour of each other in Madison Sunday morning.

The first robbery occurred on North Pinckney Street at approximately 4:30 a.m., according to an incident report. A 32-year-old Madison man was able to maintain possession of his laptop after two men approached him and demanded the bag holding it.

One of the suspects punched the victim multiple times in the face but got away empty-handed. According to DeSpain in the incident report, the victim would “likely” need stitches for a cut lip.

Less than an hour later, two women and a man approached a 32-year-old Madison man and 31-year-old Madison woman on the 100 block of West Mifflin Street. The male suspect struck the Madison man in the face and pushed the Madison woman down, according to an incident report.

The male suspect grabbed a cell phone and money from the Madison man’s pockets and the three suspects got away.

Marshall said it is too early to tell if the incidents are related but police are still investigating.