Caleb Percevecz

Caleb Percevecz (left) appeared before the ALRC to receive approval of a recommendation for a liquor license to turn the Tiki Shack into a restaurant weeks before his felony.

Potential Tiki Shack owner may have difficulty receiving liquor license after felony

The Tiki Shack may have issues with a potential change in ownership after one of the managers planning on taking over the bar was charged with a felony for substantial battery Monday.

Caleb Percevecz, a 26-year-old Madison man, was taunted with derogatory names by two 18-year-old Madison men Saturday afternoon before he punched one and shoved the other to the ground, according to Joel DeSpain, Madison Police Department spokesperson.

One of the victims sustained a chipped tooth after the punch and then held Percevecz down with the help of the other victim until he was detained by police at the corner of South Randall Avenue and Mound Street, according to DeSpain.

John Markson, a Dane County Circuit Court judge, charged Percevecz with the felony for the battery and a misdemeanor for disorderly conduct.

Percevecz appeared before the Alcohol License Review Committee Oct. 15 with another Tiki Shack manager seeking a recommendation for approval of a liquor license after the current owner, Joe Vale, offered to sell the bar to them. The two managers have plans to open the Tiki Shack as a restaurant with island-themed cuisine.

The felony could present issues for the licensing process, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

“The timing is not good from a business perspective in that the Tiki Shack liquor licence application is still pending in city hall,” Verveer said. “I could foresee this incident having ramifications for the liquor license application.”

The liquor license will be considered by the City Council at their Nov. 18 meeting, but Verveer predicts the license will either be referred back to the ALRC for further review or the MPD will need to be consulted in case their recommendation for approval changes, given the nature of the incident.

Caleb Percevecz could not be reached for comment.