Matej Radonic

Senior Matej Radonic (right) played in his final game at the McClimon Sports Complex Sunday. 

Men's Soccer: Badgers cough up early lead to Michigan State

Similarly to their last win, the Badgers scored early in the game and tried to keep the lead. However, the No. 19 Michigan State Spartans had other plans.

Wisconsin (0-4-0 Big Ten, 2-8-1 overall) lost to the Spartans 2-1 in a game of ups and downs. They attained the lead early, gave it up on a penalty kick, and then minutes later lost control for the remainder of the second period.

Sophomore defender Matej Radonic opened the game with a goal in the second minute on an assist from freshman midfielder Mark Segbers. The Badgers carried the lead into halftime and played impressive defense against the Spartans (2-1-1, 7-2-2). The goal marked Radonic’s first of his career. However, just after the break, Michigan State evened the score on a penalty kick goal by junior defender Zach Carroll. This was the defender’s second goal of the year and drastically changed the momentum of the game. Michigan State scored minutes later to take the lead and never ceased control.

In a conference game of this caliber, the Badgers proved that they are indeed improving game by game. Prior to this game, Wisconsin only scored two goals in the first half. They netted one early in East Lansing on Saturday and looked to be competitive throughout.

“We battled hard today and I thought we did some tremendous stuff,” UW head coach John Trask said. “We also never gave up. I’m pleased with the progress of this team. Our captains have also done a tremendous job keeping this group together. The easiest thing right now is for this group to bail and that’s not the case. I’m pleased with where we’re going.”

Trask continues to deal with the inexperience of his squad although the leaders are starting to step up and fill important roles. Trask’s interview seemed redundant as he continually references his improving and determined squad with nothing to show but two wins on the season. Inexperience is a tough obstacle to overcome, but 11 games into the season should be a turning point.

The resiliency of Wisconsin has not gone unnoticed in recent games. They continue to battle their way through tough opponents such as Michigan State although they usually come up short. A bright future for Wisconsin soccer is certain but they must learn a winning strategy from start to finish.

The Badgers return home Wednesday to play Loyola-Chicago. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. on Pink/Breast Cancer Day at McClimon Complex.

UWBadgers.com contributed to this report.