Grey Satterfield

Column: Savor the chaos last Saturday brought to college football

The roller coaster and college football are my two favorite childhood memories, and it’s days like Saturday that help me realize just how related they actually are.

The roller coaster begins with a long, drawn out ascent of a hill before everything comes rushing toward the ground. The first drop is typically the roller coaster's calling card, and Week 6 in college football made the same statement.

To recap:

No. 2 Oregon lost at home to unranked Arizona.

No. 3 Alabama lost on the road to No. 11 Ole Miss.

No. 4 Oklahoma lost on the road to No. 25 TCU.

No. 6 Texas A&M lost on the road to No. 12 Mississippi State.

No. 8 UCLA lost at home to unranked Utah.

No. 14 Stanford lost on the road to No. 9 Notre Dame.

No. 15 LSU lost on the road to No. 5 Auburn.

No. 16 USC lost at home to unranked Arizona State.

No. 17 Wisconsin lost on the road to unranked Northwestern.

No. 18 BYU lost at home to unranked Utah State.

No. 19 Nebraska lost on the road to No. 10 Michigan State.

Now, this can mean two things: people are awful at ranking football teams, or 2007 is at the door and we should just go ahead and let him in.

It is important as sports fans to embrace the chaos. If you wanted to watch things go according to plan I’d suggest a History Channel documentary.

From 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Saturday were about the purest adrenaline rushes I’ve ever experienced as four amazing college football games all came down to the wire simultaneously. Similar to a drug addict I found my eyes darting all across my computer screens while uncontrollably tapping my foot and letting out yelps of joy every two minutes.

That’s the feeling sports fan crave every time they turn on the TV. Everytime I watch a game I’m rooting for overtime, I’m rooting for drama, I’m rooting for that feeling.

Maybe Saturday at 5:00 p.m. you were throwing your crushed up can of PBR at the TV because the Badgers had laid an egg in Evanston. But if you were doing that, then you missed out on the greatest hour of TV all year.

It’s great to have a team and have passion, but the best part of college football is following 20 games in a day and watching a few get really exciting. Well this Saturday (and Thursday and Friday), more than just a few got exciting.

Whether you were watching Marcus Mariota fumble away a perfect season, Senquez Golson’s amazing interception, Everett Golson’s insane fourth down prayer, the Oklahoma vs. TCU turnover fest, Michigan State’s last stand, Ka’imi Fairbairn missing field goals or Jaelen Strong’s hail mary reception, this Saturday had something for everyone.

There were some crazy games between unranked teams as well. Check out higlights from Florida vs. Tennessee, UMass vs. Miami (OH), Bowling Green vs. Buffalo, Rutgers vs. Michigan, South Carolina vs. Kentucky and Washington State vs. Cal.

So here’s to next week, may it be as exciting and chaotic as the last, and let’s hope every team in the College Football Playoff has two losses.