Mike Verveer

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, discusses a proposal allowing additional leeway for food vendors to set up their food carts earlier on Farmers' Market Saturdays.

VOC officials, vendors hope to compromise

Madison food trucks soon may be able to now legally set up shop even earlier before the Dane County Farmers’ Market, according to a proposal adopted by the Vending Oversight Committee at a Tuesday meeting.

While not permitted by law, food vendors at recent Farmers’ Markets have been setting up their carts and trucks in the late hours of Friday night and early hours of Saturday morning before the legally permissible 5 a.m. rather than towing their carts home in between food vending times. The new standard is causing dilemmas for Madison Police and the city, according to Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

“The police have raised some concerns about a proliferation of food cart vendors setting up around the Capitol Square on Friday nights many hours before the Farmers’ Market opens on Saturday mornings,” Verveer said. “And so the food carts sit there unattended for hours at a time, including during that busy time around [when the bars close].”

Citing an increase in popularity for the Capitol Square area bars and restaurants, Verveer noted the potential for instances of unattended cart vandalism from intoxicated individuals.

“We’re trying to accommodate the Farmers’ Market vendors and allow them additional leeway to set up their carts early,” Verveer said, citing 3 a.m. as the proposed compromise for a new permissible time, pending Common Council’s approval.

According to Street Vending Coordinator Warren Hansen, earlier time for food cart vendors should also cut down congestion and traffic hazards between food cart vendors and the approximately 185 Farmers’ Market vendors that arrive at the same time.

Although committee members favored the time change without contention, a proposal regarding food vendor fees was left unresolved in the abbreviated meeting.

“I would suggest that we put on our thinking caps for the next meeting,” said Committee Chair Sara Richards.

The Vending Oversight Committee will meet again next week to wrap up the Food Review Process, the way by which city officials determine where the food cart vendors can set up shop in the downtown area.