Lena Taylor

State Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee, voiced her concern that the bill creates too many scenarios in which a strip search is legal. 

Senate closes legislative year

In its last floor period of the legislative session Tuesday, the state Senate passed bills to govern oral chemotherapy regulations, minimum wage exceptions and strip searches, among others.

The Senate also approved several gubernatorial appointments and honored four retiring state senators.

Among the bills passed Tuesday was a bipartisan measure to prohibit insurance policies from mandating a higher co-payment for oral chemotherapy than for injected or intravenous chemotherapy.

The Senate also approved a bill that would exempt salespersons regularly working away from the employer’s place of business from Wisconsin’s minimum wage law.

Senate Minority Leader Chris Larson, D-Milwaukee, criticized the bill and said it is a step away from a national trend toward a higher minimum wage.

Additionally, the Senate passed a bill that would expand the circumstances under which law enforcement officials may conduct strip searches.

State Sen. Lena Taylor, D-Milwaukee, voiced her concern that the bill creates too many scenarios in which a strip search is legal and said the bill would allow strip searches even where a criminal allegation is absent.

“You can have a forfeiture and not necessarily be in a situation where you have committed either a misdemeanor or a felony,” Taylor said. “I really do not believe that individuals understand just the amount of invasion that you are allowing in this situation.”

Detention as a result of a forfeiture is not grounds for a strip search under current law.

No Republicans spoke on the minimum wage or strip search bills.

The Senate also confirmed several of Gov. Scott Walker’s appointments to boards including the UW Board of Regents, the Psychology Examining Board and other state councils.

State Sen. Robert Jauch, D-Poplar, reminded the Legislature of his call on the governor to appoint members of the currently vacant Mining Investment and Local Impact Fund Board. The fund would disburse money among local communities to compensate for damages caused by preparation for the possible Gogebic Taconite mine in the northern part of the state, according to a statement from Jauch’s office.

Jauch said the money in the fund cannot be distributed until the seats are filled. The fund holds $280,000 including a $75,000 payment from Gogebic Taconite, according to the statement.

Tuesday’s session marked Jauch’s last, along with three other state Senators who have also announced their retirement, including Senators John Lehman, D-Racine, Tim Cullen, D-Janesville, and Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center.