Kelis

Record Routine: Kelis whets her audience's appetite with new album

Kelis is a name that pops up on the music radar on rare occasions, with hit singles like “Milkshake” and “Bossy” putting the young and spunky R&B artist in the spotlight for her 15 minutes of fame. With an otherwise lackluster musical career, Food adds new flavor to Kelis’ repertoire, making for a pleasant and memorable album.

Kelis has been pretty experimental with her music over the years, with her last album Flesh Tone being a complete redirection into the dance and electronic genres. Food is a more traditional R&B album, adding enough soul and variety to make for an interesting set. “Jerk Ribs” maintains a groovy bass line and drum kick, only to be met with an upheaval of trumpets and rough vocals that carries into the song’s chorus. Kelis hits the breaks with “Floyd” and “Runnin,’” adding a heartier sound to her singing that gives it a soulful, almost gloomy presence.

The excellent diversity in Kelis’ vocals is only trumped by Food’s amazing production value. Headed by TV on the Radio’s Dave Sitek, each track holds its own unique instrumental element that keeps the album fresh and varied all the way through. The timid drum rolls and ominous humming in “Change” creates an atmosphere straight out of an old James Bond score. “Bless the Telephone” is driven by a single acoustic guitar, like a Simon & Garfunkel-style folk song. Sitek takes advantage of Kelis’ various vocal styles, complementing her more soulful sound with smooth, powerful beats and accompanying her softer, more soothing melodies with slow tempo rhythms.

Food is a wonderful album, and a testament to Kelis’ maturity as an artist, thankfully transcending the days of “Milkshake” and “Bossy.” The album is catchy and offers a splendid variety that should leave listeners hungry for more.

Rating: B+