Gary Andersen

Head coach Gary Andersen is impressed by the progress his team has made, but acknowledges the room left for improvement.

Football: Andersen impressed by new faces during spring practices

Spring is a season that marks change to the landscape, climate, and most importantly, Wisconsin football.

This Saturday, the general public will have its first glimpse of the 2014 Badger football squad at Camp Randall for the spring game.

“The first half will be controlled heavy-thud scenarios. The second half is going to be two quarters of a real football game, other than special teams,” said head coach Gary Andersen. “The first half will feel like a game, the second half will be a football game. We are going to play football, put the ball down and away we go.”

These are words that all Badger football fans will surely love to hear.

While Andersen did emphasize that a real game will be played in the second half, to avoid injuries to key players, a few guys, such as sophomore running back Corey Clement, redshirt junior running back Melvin Gordon, and redshirt senior offensive lineman Rob Havenstein, will only see limited action.

“Rob will play a little bit in the beginning, and if he plays in the third and fourth quarter, it will be very, very limited,” Andersen said. “Really, the rest of the kids with the exception to those three—with the two running backs—will be a go. It will be a heavy thud on the quarterback. We are not going to tackle him, but a tag on the shoulder is not going to bring him down.”

After losing half of its starters from the 2013 team, including an offensive cornerstone in former wideout Jared Abbrederis, change will definitely be in the air for UW.

Improving the receiving corps has definitely been a point of emphasis this spring for Andersen, but unfortunately injuries have decimated some of his options.

“[The receiving corps] is a work in progress. I have seen kids working like crazy to get better. I have seen a senior in Kenzel [Doe], who takes every rep and does not bat an eye,” Andersen said. “We need to get healthy with the young men in the program, and get ourself in full strength there. A couple of those kids have got to become factors. If we can do that, we have a chance at being a very potent offense.”

The front seven on defense has also been decimated by graduation, including the loss of standout linebacker Chris Borland. The coaches are very optimistic about the youthful front seven, especially redshirt freshman defensive end Chikwe Obasih, who has made quite the impression on coaches this spring.

“Chikwe has really made some strides. He has gotten himself in a spot right now where if we were to play tomorrow and have a game, he would be a starter on the defensive front,” Andersen said. “He has developed the ability to play with his hands, and he controls his feet very well. Now his mind has cleared, the water has calmed, so his ability to go out and react to what is coming his way has really developed.”

Andersen is very happy with the progress Wisconsin has made, especially in improving the depth around all of the current injuries, but he is cautious to remind us that a lot of work still needs to be done.

“We have been very aggressive in the spring. Like I said, you got to earn your way,” Andersen said. “Are we ready to play LSU tomorrow? No, but we’ve definitely made strides from day one.”