The Daily Cardinal endorses Leland Pan for county board

Two years ago, Leland Pan beat John Magnino for the District 5 seat on the Dane County Board of Supervisors. This time around, Pan is up against College Democrats former Chair Chris Hoffman. The District 5 seat, typically held by a University of Wisconsin-Madison student or recent graduate, represents the campus and surrounding area. Students make up the majority of constituents Hoffman and Pan, both UW-Madison seniors, are vying to represent.

The District 5 supervisor helps create county ordinances, levy taxes and approve laws regarding law enforcement. The Board also allots money in the county budget for homeless, youth and mental health services, among others. 

Hoffman and Pan have taken similar positions on some issues, including increasing sustainability efforts in the county and involving more student voices on the Board. We believe that either candidate will do a good job of bringing these issues to the forefront of discourse.

We applaud Hoffman’s goals for sustainability, campus safety and student involvement. However, Pan’s additional commitment to addressing racial disparities and homeless issues in Dane County makes him the best candidate for the District 5 seat. Additionally, his knowledge of labor issues and grassroots activism makes him an important voice on the Board. 

Pan is progressive, but he’s also pragmatic. He understands the nuances of county issues, and while we have no qualms with bringing fresh perspectives to the Board, Pan’s effort to increase the voice for people from historically underrepresented groups is important to consider. Although both candidates want to improve safety on campus, Pan wants to do it in a way that does not unintentionally foster fear or stereotype toward people of color in the community. 

Racial disparities in Dane County’s criminal justice system, around the community and even on this campus are still critical issues plaguing Dane County. Pan’s experience with outreach makes him the best candidate to address these issues. While on the Board, he has made it a priority. As a county supervisor, Pan is involved on the Cultural Affairs Commission; Environment, Agriculture & Natural Resources Committee; Equal Opportunity Commission; and the Homeless Issues Committee. 

It’s apparent that Pan has learned a lot while serving on the Board. If elected, we have no doubt Hoffman would learn a lot as well. Still, The Daily Cardinal would like to see Pan’s efforts continuedfor another term. His commitment to addressing grassroots issues in Dane County make him a more well-rounded candidate for the board. 

Students make up a significant portion of constituents in Madison and have the ability to enact significant change on the county level. For this reason, we have an obligation to participate in local government. However, getting UW-Madison students involved on the county level has been an ongoing struggle for the Board. 

As taxpayers, students should care about how their money is being spent in Dane County. Empowering students to get involved on the county level is definitely a priority for this board, and if re-elected, we hope Pan will reach out to all students on campus. 

One of the best ways to get involved with county issues is to vote in the Dane County Board election Monday, April 1. Although both candidates have the qualifications and experience to make successful supervisors, The Daily Cardinal endorses incumbent Leland Pan for Dane County Board, District 5. 

Who do you feel is the best candidate for the job of county supervisor? Do you support Leland Pan or Chris Hoffman? What issues on campus  need to be addressed? Do you feel that reaching out through local government is the best way to effect the issues that you care the most about? Tell us how you feel and please send all of your feedback to opinion@dailycardinal.com.