Rick Ross—Mastermind

Record Routine: Rick Ross invited too many friends on new album

Rick Ross’ most recent addition to his canon, Mastermind, is a continuation of his 2009 release, Deeper Than Rap. Here, however, instead of retreading former grounds, Ross expands his expertise in the hip-hop world.

While his previous albums have been packed full of guest appearances, Mastermind, Ross’ sixth album, continues the tradition of God Forgives, I Don’t in allowing Ross to show off his ability to carry songs without the assistance of guest rappers. After being crowned MTV’s Hottest MC in early 2012, Ross has honed his craft, and Mastermind is a testament to his versatility.

Straddling partnerships with high level acts like Kanye West, Jay-Z and members of the Young Money crew, Ross’ choice of backing tracks and beats highlight the album throughout. While some of the flows Ross effortlessly pushes through the speakers work well, other tracks falter.

Mastermind opens with two tracks featuring a solo Ross rapping over high-octane beats. “Rich Is Gangsta” features throwbacks to the image of Tony Montana’s mansion, with a full orchestration accompanying the walkthrough of the mansion’s opulence, and “Drug Dealers Dream” continues the lavishness.

The two tracks which bookend “The Devil is a Lie” easily outshine the album's lead single, with French Montana cruising through “Nobody,” and the Jamaican-infused “Mafia Music III” bringing a highlight to the album’s first half.

Ross’ versatility plays in well in the album’s second half. The Weeknd’s feature on “In Vein” brings a much softer note to the album, and “Sanctified,” featuring Kanye West and Big Sean, harkens back to GOOD Music’s Cruel Summer album from 2012.

The problem with Mastermind may actually lie in what Ross is known for: collaborative efforts. While Ross is a fantastic MC, the big name artists on Mastermind seem to take the center stage on their featured verses. He comes off as a big man in a fur coat with no substance.

Mastermind steps up Ross’ rap ability from his previous two albums, and brings back his energy from Deeper Than Rap. However, Ross can’t shake his reputation as a man with great opulence and nothing else.

Rating: B-