University Affairs

University Affairs Committee Chair Hannah Kinsella facilitates discussion on the recently released campus diversity plan at a meeting Tuesday.

University Affairs Committee expresses concern over lack of specificity in new campus Diversity Plan draft

The Associated Students of Madison University Affairs Committee met Tuesday to discuss the latest campus diversity plan as drafted by the Ad Hoc Diversity Planning Committee.

The AHDPC was formed in 2012 and is composed of members of the faculty, student body and the outside community of Madison. The committee was created to help re-evaluate the campus diversity plan previously drafted in 2008.

The current plan looks to establish a welcoming climate for students of all backgrounds, according to the draft.

Members of the University Affairs Committee expressed satisfaction with its emphasis on accessibility to campus facilities for all students. The committee also positively noted a focus on first-year students in an effort to establish a climate of diversity from the beginning of their experience at the university.

However, members of the University Affairs Committee were critical regarding the plan’s specifics. Many members described the plan as “vague” and “abstract,” saying the draft currently lacks substantial detail as to exactly how it will be implemented. One member described the language of the plan as being “too light” and lacking specific information.

ASM will host additional meetings for members and students to express their opinions on the draft. The current timeline calls for the draft to go to a separate committee for a vote on its finalization in spring 2014.