Philip Seymour Hoffmann

Remembering Philip Seymour Hoffman, award-winning actor

The world of movies and theater lost a vital force yesterday with the passing of Philip Seymour Hoffman, at the age of 46.

Born in Fairport, New York, on July 23, 1967, Hoffman cut his acting teeth early, attending the New York State Summer School of the Arts and the Circle in the Square Theater’s summer program between 1983-’84. He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts from New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts in 1989.

He landed his first television role as a co-defendant on “Law and Order” in 1991. From there, his profile rose steadily, as he landed memorable supporting roles in movies such as “Scent of a Woman” (1992), “Boogie Nights” (1997) and “The Big Lebowski” (1998).

Through the late ’90s and early 2000s, he landed even bigger roles, including “The Talented Mr. Ripley” (1999), a turn as Lester Bangs in “Almost Famous” (2000), a squeamish, troubled English teacher in “25th Hour” (2002) and the role of (hilariously) immoral preacher Reverend Veasey in “Cold Mountain” (2003).

Hoffman’s big break came from his portrayal of Truman Capote in “Capote” (2005), which won him the Academy Award, Screen Actors Guild, Golden Globe and British Academy of Film and Television Arts for Best Actor.

Afterward, he remained a high profile film actor, appearing in such successive classics and beloved titles as “The Savages” (2007), “Charlie Wilson’s War” (2007), “Synecdoche, New York” (2008), “Doubt” (2008) and “Moneyball” (2011).

Most recently, Hoffman played a charismatic religious leader in Paul Thomas Anderson’s “The Master” (2012) and Gamemaker Plutarch Heavensbee in the “Hunger Games” series—starting with “Catching Fire” (2013). He was scheduled to appear in the upcoming “Mockingjay—Parts 1 & 2” movies.

Hoffman was also a prominent theater actor, garnering three Tony nominations for Sam Shepard’s “True West” (2000), Eugene O’Neil’s “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” (2003) and Arthur Miller’s “Death of a Salesman” (2012).

Besides acting, Hoffman worked as a producer and director—he even took a turn in soundtrack work, contributing a few ditties to “The Master” soundtrack.

With a long, vibrant career, and numerous accolades to his name, Hoffman seemed indefatigable, a pillar of excellence, an inspiration to his audience and his cohorts. This list here scarcely begins to plumb the depths of Hoffman’s career and personality, how far he went to wring the best out of every role he played.

It cannot be overstated how devastating the passing of Philip Seymour Hoffman is—how inescapable the vacuum is, in light of his sudden death. He was a genius actor, a consummate talent, well beloved by both his audience and the entertainment community. The passion he brought to his roles was matchless, whether he was tracing the travails of a sensitive, self conscious writer (“Capote”) or playing personal assistant to a bitter, decrepit cripple (“The Big Lebowski”).

Mr. Hoffman leaves behind an inimitable legacy—numerous film and TV roles, numerous awards, numerous fans—a legacy celebrated in remembrance of a remarkable actor.

Mr. Hoffman is survived by his wife and three children.