Record Routine: Phantogram drowns previous successes on sophomore album

After their 2010 debut Eyelid Movies, the Greenwich, N.Y.-based duo Phantogram has seen their popularity spike as countless TV shows and movies feature their music. After releasing two EPs since that 2010 album, Sarah Barthel and Josh Carter have teamed up with M.I.A.’s producer John Hill to create a stronger follow-up, Voices.

While they haven’t duplicated the meteoric success of Eyelid Movies, where the single “Mouthful of Diamonds” seemed to catapult the group into indie recognition, Voices is a symphonic forest of electronic beats and smooth guitar beats. The duo has toured with The Flaming Lips, and Barthel has been seen on stage with them adding to the intense atmosphere for which the The Flaming Lips are known.

What makes Phantogram stand out in the world of new-shoegaze acts is the fluidity of the vocals between Carter and Barthel. On “I Don’t Blame You,” a track placed between two powerful tracks with Barthel’s vocals, Carter holds his own in creating an air of solemnity in the mishmash of electronic tones.

Even with an impressive few years under the duo’s belts, and their expounding talent, Voices is far from a standout recording. The tracks seem to blend together, making the album a long trek through drum-and-bass sounds.

Sonic introductions that quickly shift into simple beats seem to be a continuing theme for the group throughout Voices. “Howling at the Moon” and “Bill Murray” both feature smooth, saccharine guitar riffs, but are soon drowned out from the synthesizer.

While the songs two lead singles, “Nothing But Trouble” and “Fall in Love,” seem to issue the tone of the album, neither are standout tracks, which is an interesting shift from Eyelid Movies. “My Only Friend,” with its brash beat and descending vocals is easily the highlight of the album, but with its placement, the effort seems too little, too late.

The sophomore attempt from Phantogram is an impressive follow up, but fails to deliver in a genre crowded with artists fresh off the festival circuits, eager to strike big in the indie music scene. Just as the duo saw their rise in 2010, Phantogram now seems to be watching other groups shoot past them.

Rating: B-